A consistent internet connection is a must to have for the smooth flow of network to all your devices. Imagine you are downloading a heavy work file that you need to work on right away, and your network connection gets disrupted and all your efforts have gone to waste. Or if you are playing Dota2 and the connection lags and your game freezes leading to your character getting killed in-game because you got disconnected for a few seconds. Or if you have to send your document to the thesis supervisor but you are unable to do it in the few minutes you have before the deadline. We have all been in such a frustrating situation, one way or the other.
If you are a business owner or a serious gamer, who requires a smooth flow of the internet connection to get their job done, Xfinity refers to signing up to their internet connection. If you look through their Xfinity internet plans, you will come across high-speed plans that will work for you in such cases. Their premium package offers speeds up to 2Gbps for heavy internet usagelike running a business online or playing multiplayer games. However, if you are looking for something basic and inexpensive, you will also find a deal offering a lower-speed internet connection, but still workable for a smooth internet connection.
Where does all the disruption come from?
If you are having a slow internet speed or constant disconnection, here are a few things that are to be blamed for that;
- The hardware you are using can determine the status of your internet connection. For instance, if your computer is outdated and not up to date, the connection might lag. Or simply a router and modem of an older model cannot handle the top speed of your internet connection.
- The quality of your internet connection is also affected by the kind of environment you are in. For instance, if you have a wireless connection, many things can interfere with it such as walls around the house, weather change, multiple devices being connected to the same network, other wireless networks in the area, etc.
- The service you have signed up for with your internet service provider can also be one of the factors leading to a slow internet connection. If you have applied for a slow internet connection, you can’thave smooth gaming or video conferencing experience.
- The number of devices connected to a network connection affects the speed of your internet connection. Other devices also constantly downloading heavy files or streaming movies in 4K can also have an impact on your heavy internet usage.
Is there something you can do about it?
Yes, there are some things you can do individually to ensure that your internet doesn’t lag;
- If you are far away from the access point, that could be a cause of your slow internet speed. Because the further you are away from the router, the slower and unreliable your internet connection will be. And that’s a fact. Also, objects such as metal, stone, or a wall of glass between the computer and router can obstruct the internet connection. To fix this problem, make sure you are in the same room as or at a short distance to the router. Or you could try positioning the router at a higher position and away from other devices that could interfere with its signal.
- Too many devices being connected to the internet can have an impact on your bandwidth that you are limited to. Disconnect all devices if they are not using the internet connection.It is also important to know how much bandwidth you need for your workload or gaming and simply sign up for the required one with your ISP. This will ensure that you do not experience slow speeds during your productive hours.
- Make sure your internet connection is secure. Otherwise, anybody can log into your network and use it and that could also prove to be a security risk for you. So make sure your internet connection requires permission to be used, with a strong password. You can also turn on your firewall to prevent viruses from entering your computer system and slowing it down. If you are a business owner and you have clients coming in regularly, the best thing will be for you to provide them with a completely different internet connection, so that it doesn’t interfere with your own.
- If you are using an outdated model of a Wi-Fi router, it is time you upgraded to a new one. Due to technological advancement, network hardware needs to be updated to keep up with the times. If the firmware requires updating, go for it. Having updated firmware with improved security patches and bug fixes can guarantee you a good internet connection.
A small disruption in a network connection doesn’t bother us when we are checking emails or looking up stuff on Google,and a few lags during video calls is also bearable. However, it can prove to be problematic if internet usage requires a reliable network connection.It is not possible to have a permanent solution for a consistent flow of internet connection, but there are ways to make sure that your internet connection doesn’t lag for the times you need it the most.